Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Snippet: Nik's List by K.C. Steward



PROLOGUE


I froze in place as I walked into the school auditorium. There he was. The moment I saw him I knew he was the one. Number three on my list. I expected my first day of high school to be pretty exciting, but I didn’t think I would be able to attach a name to number three on my list so quickly. But I was. And I did. Todd. His name was Todd. I found this out by running up behind him in line to get our class schedules. He said his name so quietly that I almost missed it, but luckily the woman behind the table seemed like she was near her last nerve so she yelled, “What?” and he had to repeat his name louder.

While the woman searched through the schedules, I took out the journal that held my list and scanned it:

1.  Take 1st place at state in the hundred meters.

2.  Maintain an A average to have the best choice of colleges.

3.  Kiss a boy.

I had several more items on my list, but I put an asterisk by number three. Although I knew it wasn’t supposed to be, it had just that quickly become the most important and seemingly only item on my list as soon as I wrote Todd, as cutely as I could, in parenthesis. I know that in this day and age, it’s supposed to be easy--you just walk around with a brooding, tough girl exterior and you’ll catch the attention of an Edward or Jacob or Peeta and have your first kiss in no time. Well that’s not the case for most of us, who aren’t quite sure who we are and haven’t mastered the “brood” or “I don’t care” or “damsel in distress” attitude. It’s scary and nerve wrecking!  So why is it on my list? Because it’s only one of the most important milestones in a teen girl’s life! It’s like the race of the training bra—you don’t want to be the last to get one!

What’s my plan? Well, a long time ago my aunt Trina taught me that your goals seem more real when you write them down. You know, “if you can believe it, you can…” Some people keep bucket lists, others keep “to-do” lists; I just keep a simple old “Nik’s List.” Anyway, I have been keeping a list of my goals for years. Most of them I was able to accomplish. I finally beat Louise Stefani in the spelling bee after three years of coming in second place. I got my revenge on Amari Jones for putting something on my sandwich during a field trip (he said it was pickle relish, but…). So I figured kissing Todd smack dead on the lips before the end of my freshman year of high school wasn’t out of reach. Was it? Really, how hard could it be to get a boy to kiss you? I was about to find out.


Blog: http://kcsteward.wordpress.com/

Find Nik's List by K.C. Steward at Amazon Smashwords




No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent (most popular) Posts