Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Author Interview: Martin Roy Hill

What genre do you write? Why?

For years I’ve been writing mystery and suspense. It was a natural genre for me. I started my journalism career as a police reporter. I was also involved in maritime law enforcement in the Coast Guard Reserve. Also, my late father-in-law was Robert Wade, the great mystery writer who – with his writing partner, H. Billy Miller – wrote under the pen names Wade Miller and Whit Masterson. If you’ve ever seen Orson Wells film noir classic “Touch of Evil,” that was Bob’s book. Bob encouraged me a great deal. Recently, however, my short fiction has been trending toward science fiction—dystopian settings and speculative fiction. I like to include social commentary in my work, and sci-fi is more open to that.

Do you use an outline or just start writing?
Both. Typically I have an opening sentence or scene in my head and write it down. Then I have to figure out where to go from there. I use a program called Plot Builder to outline the story.  By the time I finish doing that, the story is fully developed in my head and I write it down without looking much at the outline.

What is your next project?
I have a full novel coming out titled “The Killing Depths.” It’s a mystery suspense story that takes place on a submarine. It’s been completed for some time. “Duty” was a training exercise in indie publishing to prepare me for publishing “Depths.” The next project I have is a murder mystery called “Empty Places.” I’m also still writing short stories.

Do you write full time or part time?
Part-time. I still have to earn a living. I’m a research analyst for the Navy.

When did you start writing?
I wrote my first piece for publication when I was in the third grade. It was an article for the school paper. I’ve been writing ever since except for a roughly 10 year gap after 9/11. I was mobilized for Coast Guard duty for a while after the attacks, and then I went to work for the Navy just before the Iraq war started. Our op tempo was so high I didn’t have time to write. Thankfully, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are ending. 


Website: Martin Roy Hill
Twitter: https://twitter.com/martinroyhill
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Martin.Roy.Hill
Goodreads Author: Martin Roy Hill


 









Find Duty by Martin Roy Hill at Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent (most popular) Posts